Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Hatred of Sin


"You who love the Lord, hate evil! He preserves the souls of His saints; He delivers them out of the hand of the wicked." Psalm 97:10

One of the most important marks of one who is born again is the hatred of sin. Before we are made new by the blood of Christ, sin is the very thing we ever desire. We are born in sin and sin consumes our lives (Romans 3:9). Sin itself is the rebellious practice of pleasing ourselves against the very will of God: the act of lawlessness in the face of God's righteous commands. If once we have been made new creations we do not despise the rebellion against God's law there has not been true repentance. True repentance is the changing of ones mind and nature specifically in the context towards the law of God. This is, in essence, a change from loving sin to hating the very practice of it. 

If this is true we must rely so greatly upon the grace of God through His holy spirit to daily convict us and lead us; for we know none of us is without sin (1 John 1:8-10) and thus none of us has reached a perfect zealous hatred of sin. Without the daily grace of God in sanctification and forgiveness we would never remain on the straight and narrow path for, "My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber." (Psalm 123:2,3).

We all can testify to the wicked flesh that we are still attached to and its vicious hatred of the law of God. But as new creations in the spirit we must put to death our flesh daily and seek to love the Law of God with all of our being.

"...but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin." Romans 7:23-25

By: Tim Snyder

No comments:

Post a Comment